Tag Archives: Sso

RUNNING VCENTER 5.1? KEEP THIS KB ARTICLE HANDY! – UPDATED

 

If Everytime I had a nickel for when my home lab broke – I would be filthy rich!

As always my vcenter 5.1 broke. Started throwing unable to connect to vcenter/sdk error. When I logged in as the SSO admin I did not see vcenter registered. For some reason it disappeared.

I am still yet to fix the issue but came across this KB which helps you with re-registering vcenter components to each other. It is by no way intuitive and is all command line.

This will be very handy now that vcenter has all its services separate! You have to make sure all the moving parts, SSO, Inventory Service, web service and vcenter are connected and aware of each other – not in that particular order anyway.

Here is the KB

Update – I only have vague update on my issue with vcenter. I gave up and went ahead to reinstall just the vcenter vm – found out it kept giving me inventory server error. vCenter talks to the inventory server on https://inventory-server-url:10443 however it kept failing.

I re-installed the inventory server and then it worked fine, so the above issue was possibly due to something messy in the inventory server.

More as I know it.

vCENTER 5.1 VUM NOTES

vQuicky – For the impatient like me

> No webclient support for plugin installs especially vmware update manager.

> Need to use vsphere client to update your hosts

> Don’t forget to check if your hosts are able to resolve to the vum/vcenter server using the dns or else scanning of hosts will fail

inDepth

Over the weekend I spent time rebuilding my lab. My lab has servers running on usb sticks @ ESXi 5.0 . I needed them to be on 5.1 but really didn’t want to rekick these boxes.

The only right way to do it was to rebuild my vcenter part of the lab from 5.0 to 5.1. Now the way to do that was to blow away what I have right now and do a proper upgrade because with 5.1 – the Single Sign On has been introduced. Now I can cheat by doing a vcenter simple install – basically an all in one vcenter instance but I wanted to mimic a typical production environment.

So I rolled out 4 vms – a webclient, a SSO, a Inventory service and a vCenter server which also had VUM installed.

The order of installation is SSO first, then comes the inventory service followed by the webclient and then the vcenter server. Once the install is done, you login to the webclient using the [email protected] default id and add the domain in the SSO configuration part. Once done you can login as a domain user and mess around with your vcenter.  Also don’t forget, if you look closely by default, [email protected] has admin access to the vcenter. In a production environment, you may not want this. Again its not a big deal but really, you typically don’t want any stale accounts be granted the admin role when not needed.

I had to login to the vcenter client and get the plugin installed and start to patch my two hosts. Now patch failed at the initial scan. I forgot to update the hosts with the right dns entries so they can lookup the vum server to pull the downloads. After a quick dns update all worked well.

Hopefully I will have a demo going for you in a video.

Feel free to comment or correct me 🙂